The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 places a duty on all employers to ensure the health, safety and welfare at work of all their employees and visitors.
Main points are:
- Safe operation and maintenance of equipment
- Maintenance of safe access to work
- Safe use, handling and storage of dangerous materials and liquids
- Training of staff to ensure proper adherence of the health and safety policy
- Adequate welfare provisions for employees
Companies over 5 employees must maintain a written health and safety policy and ensure that all staff are trained on how to apply at work.
Section 3 of the legislation deals with protecting people other than employees. This includes contractors, visitors, the general public and clients.
A visitor book at reception helps to fulfil this duty of care because you are asking each visitor to acknowledge your health and safety policy and abide by it. So from the beginning of a visit each visitor understands how important looking after their welfare is to your organisation. The visitor book also ensures an up to date fire register and provides an ID pass to wear.
To see how we can help click here to view our personalised visitor book kit, this contains everything to get you started. We also have a kit specific to contractors.
More information can be found at http://www.hse.gov.uk